Author Topic: cant import files  (Read 2984 times)

besb1n

• View Profile
cant import files
« on: May 27, 2024, 05:35:39 AM »
i cant import any .wav files. i get an error message "Failed to copy new source file." then "File does not exist."

tried changing my temp folder but it didnt do anything. any help would be appreciated.

Robert Fraser

• View Profile
Re: cant import files
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024, 09:44:56 AM »
Hi besb1n,  I'm sorry I didn't discover this thread until today. I'm assuming the issue is with Soundshaper on the PC.

Soundshaper uses the CDP function copysfx (rather than Windows copy) to copy your source sound to the temp. folder - typically to a file named ~A_0.wav.  Copysfx supports a wide number of formats and once copied, CDP processes will nornally support the given format (e.g. 16-bit .wav, 32-bit float etc.) It doesn't support .mp3 or .flac though.

However, copysfx runs in Windows' Command Processor which imposes its own constraints. Here are a few things you can test for:

1. Make sure there are no spaces in the source and temp file paths. That applies to both the file name and the file folder.
2. Both the file name and file folder names should conform to ASCII standards - characters like é, ç and ö are not supported (though they may be in Windows).
3. Check the path for CDP programs. The default is \_cdp\_cdprogs within your CDP base folder such as C:\CDPR8.
   Select Options | Settings (or F5) to see the path assigned to CDP Programs and check it is correct.
4. Occasionally with this problem, we've found the user file had a format that copysfx didn't support, though this seems unlikely if no files will copy.
5. For both 3. and 4., try running copysfx directly in the Command Processor:
   Type the name of the drive if different from the one in the prompt, then type cd <folder_name> (put in the name of the source folder. You can copy and paste this from Windows Explorer.) This makes your source folder the current one.
  Then type copysfx <source_filename> ~A_0.wav and see if it works.
6. You can also take a look at the batch file which runs copysfx. It should be in your Temp. folder, called ~A_0.bat and should contain a line like:
   copysfx %1 "E:\SOUNDS\TMP\~A_0.wav"
  (E:\SOUNDS\TMP\ is my own temp folder on this PC. %1 refers to the source file name, which the program substitutes for this variable.)

If none of the above reveal anything useful, we may need to look at a typical file that fails, and the batch file running copysfx, and a screenshot of your settings. You can send these to me via email.

Robert Fraser

• View Profile
Re: cant import files
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2024, 03:20:22 PM »
A small extra observation regarding spaces in names - Soundshaper does in fact support importing source files with a space in the name and a source folder also with a space in the name. (I've just tested this.)  However, I would recommend that the Temp folder should NOT have any spaces in its name.