Poll

Should the CDP community get a mailing list to communicate amongst users and developers?

Yes, please.
7 (58.3%)
I prefer the web based forum as it exists.
1 (8.3%)
Don't care
0 (0%)
I have a better idea even.
3 (25%)
Let's move everything to facebook, privacy doesn't matter.
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Mailing List Poll  (Read 4764 times)

p8rpp

• View Profile
Mailing List Poll
« on: February 09, 2017, 02:36:35 PM »
Hi,

I would like to ask this community if members would be fine moving all discussion to a mailing list rather than a web based forum.

Good reasons to switch are
1.) It integrates better with many users daily communication work flow as they might be subscribed to other mailing lists as well.
2.) People can chose their own user interface (eg. Mail reader/client).
3.) Automatic notification of new postings.
4.) Easy archival, also off-site (in a user's personal directory)
5.) No need to authorise to a webpage to reply, just hit the reply button.
6.) Easier to read and maneuver on mobile devices.

Upon a successful vote for a mailing list I would be willing to find a server/institution to host it and could offer my services as one (of possibly multiple) mailing list adminitrators.

loganmcbroom

• View Profile
    • Music
Re: Mailing List Poll
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 06:56:01 PM »
I think a mailing list would serve the same purpose as a forum for me considering I check in here daily, it would be a convenience though. If any new form of communication were added I would prefer something instant in nature, e.g. an IRC channel.

afta8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 07:43:49 PM »
Forum works for me, however my main request would be for it to be readable for non-registered users. Being indexed by search engines would be one obvious advantage.

IMO being a closed forum is not conducive to building a community.

thresholdpeople

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 03:16:14 PM »
Old post, but I vote for mailing list.

It can compensate for the board going quite and forgetting to check in. Allows for quick revival too, if everything's been quiet for a while, someone can send a message and everyone will see it.

Quite handy.

joehuergo

• very personal text
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 08:37:21 AM »
thresholdpeople raises good points. I too agree with the prospect of a mailing list.
afta8's point is valid as well.

loganmcbroom

• View Profile
    • Music
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 07:52:53 AM »
Seeing that this forum has been extremely quiet lately I feel like this topic should be revived. If nobody has qualms about it I'll make a facebook group in a few days. Not everyone uses facebook but it seems like a maintainable and accessible solution.

p8rpp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 08:00:04 AM »
Please do not start a facebook group. Vote on this thread. It has an option for voting for Facebook. If you want to help, let us know here and you could for example become a mailing list admin (low volume).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:01:59 AM by p8rpp »

loganmcbroom

• View Profile
    • Music
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 03:38:42 AM »
I voted when the poll was made but it doesn't seem like anyone has any kind of initiative. Having the community quarantined to a difficult to locate private forum has stagnated the growth of interest in CDP and if nobody else is going to do anything to fix that I might as well try. We get what, a post every two weeks about how soundshaper has trouble setting up on macs? There's clearly people interested by the setup questions but there's no community so I think people get stuck trying to figure out how the hell soundloom works and move on to better user experiences.

If you think a mailing list is the right way to go then make it happen, though I feel like mailing lists are a bit of a relic. If nothing else making the forum readable to non users would be a good start.

p8rpp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 08:49:10 AM »
Dear Loganmcbroom
No need to tell me about the shortcomings of a web forum that requires authentication. After all that's why the poll is here. Problem is, I would like to hear a word from the people responsible for CDP, for this forum and others before I go off and create a mailing list. Thank you for your oppinion, which sure gets things moving again.

To anyone else following this thread (yes, one can subscribe to threads in this forum) it would be great to hear more oppinions.

In addition I am in contact with two mailing list providers to see if they can host a cdp-users list.

simonk

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 11:30:45 AM »

Although you do have to login here there are no adverts or (so far) spammers.
A small price to pay really.

Plus, there have been eight votes for this poll in ten months out of 480 members.
I think you have some sort of consensus there.

Regards
Simon

loganmcbroom

• View Profile
    • Music
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 08:04:44 AM »
I don't think anyone wants the forum to be open to unregistered posting but would making it viewable without logging in create spam?

The only thing I've seen that I'd really compare to cdp is supercollider which uses a mailing list based forum, viewable without login. They also have a slack group I think which would be an alright solution. I mentioned it previously but I think an irc channel would be a good way to go and I can't imagine anyone is opposed to one being opened.

p8rpp

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 07:35:34 AM »
You are right: The following computer music software projects use a mailing list (+archive) as their primary means of communication:
CSound: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/mailing_list/MailingListOptions.jtp?forum=1093014
Pure Data: https://lists.puredata.info/listinfo/pd-list
SoX: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sox-users
IRCAM runs multiples: http://listes.ircam.fr/sympa
GNU Octave: https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-octave

loganmcbroom

• View Profile
    • Music
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 02:33:29 AM »
Here's a discord server for cdp chatting: https://discord.gg/QmQuJKB

Jonathansmith

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 06:39:30 AM »
Hello I am new to this forum. I am glad to be a part of it. Thanks to your team.
Best Assignment Help in uk.