Author Topic: Revised CDP Documentation Online  (Read 3089 times)

Robert Fraser

• View Profile
Revised CDP Documentation Online
« on: August 27, 2016, 05:06:19 PM »
The CDP documention has been revised and a provisional version can be accessed online at:
www.ensemble-software.net/CDPDocs/html/cdphome.htm
or you can start here:
www.ensemble-software.net/CDPDocs/index.html

Most of the original text has been retained, but the structure and links have hopefully been improved.

You can download the docs as a zip (for PC - 66MB). First, rename your existing docs folder (\cdpr7\docs) to e.g. \docsold (to avoid a garbled mixture of old and new docs). Then extract the zip to your CDP base folder (\cdpr7). The link is:
www.ensemble-software.net/CDPDocs/CDPDocsNew.zip

The aim will be to keep the latest set of docs online and make it possible for users to update individual pages as required. A list of recent updates is available at www.ensemble-software.net/CDPDocs/!Updates.txt and future updated files will be accessible from www.ensemble-software.net/links.html .

The new docs have not yet been added to the CDP distribution, so now is a good time to email me your suggestions (rob[at]ensemble-software.net). As there is now one set of docs for both PC and Mac, Mac users in particular can help by pointing out anything that is not correct for that platform. 

Improving the documentation is a continuous process and the next steps will be to create printable .pdf versions of the reference sections, as well as make more playable examples available online.

Robert, Documentation Co-ordinator. 

loganmcbroom

• View Profile
    • Music
Re: Revised CDP Documentation Online
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 10:59:27 PM »
Great news! Any idea how the user submitted changes will work and when that will be available?

Robert Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 01:12:41 PM »
As the docs are not a Wiki, just email any suggestions to me - email address as in the announcement. (I don't think this is something for the Forum, unless absolutely necessary). Simple changes can be implemented straight away in the online version. Anything involving a serious re-write I would run past Archer, as he is still the editor and author of most of the docs' content. (But even Wiki articles go through a discussion process, so that's not unusual.)

I'm aware that some parameter ranges are better documented than others; this is something I'll look into. Also, some processes have example command lines, while others don't. Again, I'd like to get examples for all transformations, and also build up sound examples in the online docs. If you've got a good sound example, why not send it in (provided the source sound doesn't breach copyright)?

It would also help if we had translations into other languages. This would have to be done by the membership. If anyone is a native speaker of a language other than English and would be willing to collaborate with other speakers of that language to translate some of the reference docs, please e-mail me.

Robert F.

Robert Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 07:49:34 PM »
Logan,
I found your Inconsistencies post and have posted a reply. Thanks for picking up on so many documentation anomalies. Many of these have been sitting around for years unnoticed!
Robert

Robert Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 03:07:49 PM »
I've now followed up Logan's lengthy list of documentation errors posted on the General Board (see "Inconsistencies..."), and have updated a number of the online docs:
cgropsow.htm  cgrohous.htm  cgromody.htm cgroenvl.htm cgroedit.htm  cdistort.htm   ccombine.htm  alphindex.htm
I've also updated the zip file.

For those who might have already downloaded the new docs, you need only download the above .htm files: replace just the .htms and discard any associated "_Files" folders.

Robert

loganmcbroom

• View Profile
    • Music
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 03:27:38 AM »
Ah, that's great. It may take me a while to sort through all of these answers, many were solved by the 7.1 update for me and I had yet to update that list. Thanks!

Robert Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 05:56:17 PM »
I've now added a downloads page (Documentation Updates) for CDP Docs and their updates.
You can find this here:
www.ensemble-software.net/CDPDocs/html/updates.htm

The link to CDPDocsNew.zip is correct from there and replaces the previous link posted here.

A new update today includes the utilities Getcol, Putcol and Vectors, undocumented in the last release.

Robert F.

misk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 10:16:16 PM »
Thanks so much for doing this, Robert!