Author Topic: Issue in soundshaper with put formant function  (Read 2728 times)

shwood

• View Profile
Issue in soundshaper with put formant function
« on: December 16, 2015, 01:10:40 PM »
Since this is my first post to the forum, I should first say what a terrific piece of software CDP/Soundshaper is. Having trawled through endless identikit VST softsynths, finally I have stumbled on something suitably powerful. My profound thanks to all involved!

I am trying to extract formants and then impose these on another soundfile using soundshaper. However, I am finding that the put formants function isn't working. The error window that opens up on the right tells me the following:

ERROR: INVALID DATA
ERROR: cannot open input file ~C_4.for to read data.
ERROR: INVALID DATA
ERROR: cannot open input file ~C_4.for to read data.

What is curious to my eyes is that the get formant function outputs a differently named file: ~C_4_c1.for

I come across a similar problem when using info/spectral/see formants, when soundshaper looks for a non-existent file: ERROR: Can't open file ~C_4+_c1.for to read

A parallel problem seems to afflict the info/pitch/see pitch or hear pitch functions.

I would be very grateful if someone could point out where I am going wrong!

rwdobson

• View Profile
Re: Issue in soundshaper with put formant function
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
Just to check - do you have the environment variable CDP_SOUND_EXT defined (to wav)? If not, it is likely there was an error writing a file, which would break the scheme whereby Soundshaper splits stereo files into multiple mono files (with suffix _c1, _c2 etc)  before running frequency domain processes, all of which (including pvoc) only process mono files.

Robert Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 08:32:37 PM »
Many thanks to shwood for uncovering a couple of scripting bugs in Soundshaper!

The first issue (Put Formants etc.) needed an extra condition in the script. It didn't arise if Soundshaper auto-converted Infile 2 from a .wav or .ana cell.  The second issue raised (View Formants etc.) was just a typo -- an extra '+' getting into the script.

A revised Soundshaper.exe (4.4.1) can be downloaded from here:
  www.ensemble-software.net/downloads/Soundshaper4.4.1UD.zip

Simply unpack and replace your existing Soundshaper.exe (4.4).

shwood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 09:30:04 PM »
Just a quick thank you to rwdobson and Robert for helping me get this sorted out so quickly.