General Category > General Board

Sound Loom for Linux?

<< < (2/4) > >>

lynx:
I suspect that Sound Loom vexes some people because it is foremost a tool for Trevor, and is therefore built primarily for his needs and workflow.  Unlike an application intended for general consumption, SL may require a new user to "get inside" Trevor's head on some level before it starts to make sense.  I don't know if this is actually true, however, because I did not find SL the giant obstacle to working with CDP that some on this forum apparently do.

I genuinely empathize with their frustration, however.  I've a reasonably technical bent, but I've never been able to get my head around the disjointed workflow of most pro-grade DAW software.  Inundated by functionality that does not come together cohesively in my mind, I could never feel "at home" with any of them, whether it be REAPER, Logic, Cakewalk, Pro Tools, etc.--rote memorization isn't one of my strong suits.  Watching other musicians cruise around their favourite DAW with minimal frustration and without breaking stride leaves me a little bitter about my ineptitude in this respect.

sleestack:
sorry i messed up your thread. it is a good request. im switching to windows just to use soundloom.

lynx:
No worries!!  You did not mess up the thread.   :)

sleestack:
have you tried sms tools, lynx? it sounds really good.

lynx:
I haven't!  In fact, I hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it.  This does look interesting.

On the topic of neat tools that run on Linux, I've always been a fan of Bill Schottstaedt's Snd.  Apart from being a very capable sound editor, it has the core generators of CLM (via SndLib) built right in.  But the default language binding is Scheme, and I don't think a Python binding has been developed yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version