General Category > General Board

how to get txt for FOFS?

(1/1)

Phoenix cat:
In Soundloom almost all effects using FoFs requires a txt files for certain parameters. But I dont know what to write in that file. May someone write a default text for that file? Thanks.

rwdobson:
It looks like the assumed procedure (by Trevor Wishart) is to obtain the pitch breakpoint file from the (or a) source soundfile, using "Repitch getpitch 2..." (or Repitch->extract etc in Soundloom). Perhaps editied or modified using any number of tools to process breakpoint files. It is a plain time/freq format file. Of course, "repitch" requires an analysis file, which will requires running pvoc on the source soundfile first. If you are on a PC, you always have the GUI option of using BrkEdit, but I think there is a basic GUI draw/edit facility in Soundloom as well. I think a core idea is to start with repitch getpitch, and then apply changes to the breakpoint data (e.g. data reduction, shifts etc) according to the compositional goal.

How practical it is to apply such changes manually of course depends on the length of the source and the density of pitch movements - the generated breakpoint file may easily contain 100s of points. There is however no serious technical reason not to use short hand-written data files - the spirit of the software is very much that of experiment, trial and error - but the duration of the breakpoint file (final data line) should normally match or exceed that of the source file.

The FOFS tool in Soundloom uses the commandline program "psow" behind the scenes, and it may be useful to run that directly to see the usage messages, in conjunction with the general CDP documentation.

In Soundloom, the somewhat convoluted process starts with running pvoc on a source soundfile, and then selecting the analysis file as the input for "Repitch" - save the text output to some name, to ensure it appears in the Workspace (may need to click "Refresh"). Select the original soundfile, to make FOFS available in the Process window, and in the relevant parameter page use "Get File" to select the required breakpoint file.

And so on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version