Author Topic: Another go at a CDP frontend  (Read 10365 times)

Xenakios

• View Profile
Another go at a CDP frontend
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:53:03 AM »
I got quite frustrated with some aspects of the CDP frontend I have been working on, and decided to look at doing things from scratch. After a few days of work I've progressed quite nicely! I was able to come with a node graph based approach that allows quite cleanly to connect CDP programs together to form complex webs of processing. This will require a bit more work to become usable for the general public but perhaps a first test build might appear before too long. (Notably editing the CDP program parameters is currently very primitive, and no support for time varying parameters exists...)

afta8

• View Profile
Re: Another go at a CDP frontend
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 12:12:07 PM »
Wow, looks amazing, this could well be the perfect kind of interface for CDP.
Is this Reaper only?

Xenakios

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 05:59:20 PM »
Wow, looks amazing, this could well be the perfect kind of interface for CDP.
Is this Reaper only?

The plan is to have builds of this that work both as standalone app and a Reaper plugin. The previous frontend also could be built as a standalone application but I didn't manage to make it work on OS-X, so I didn't publicly post builds of the standalone app. This new frontend now also has a working OS-X standalone application build since last night. (No Reaper plugin build exists yet, as it's kind of early days with this new software now. Adding the Reaper plugin mode will be relatively easy later, though.) I can't say a definitive date when this new frontend might be available for public testing, but perhaps during March isn't too inaccurate.

simonk

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 07:45:38 PM »
Fabulous !
Looking forward to this Xenakios.

I haven't had a load of CDP time recently, but did make a few really nice transformations with the previous Reaper plugin .
I particularly like the 'in place' function. The ability to drop the transformed file at the current point in the timeline  (& on a new track etc) is a great compositional tool.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:52:48 PM by simonk »

afta8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 09:55:12 PM »
The plan is to have builds of this that work both as standalone app and a Reaper plugin. The previous frontend also could be built as a standalone application but I didn't manage to make it work on OS-X, so I didn't publicly post builds of the standalone app. This new frontend now also has a working OS-X standalone application build since last night. (No Reaper plugin build exists yet, as it's kind of early days with this new software now. Adding the Reaper plugin mode will be relatively easy later, though.) I can't say a definitive date when this new frontend might be available for public testing, but perhaps during March isn't too inaccurate.

Nice! an OSx standalone would be great..
Bonus points to you if in CDP tradition it could be launched and supplied with sounds via the command line too ;)

Xenakios

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 03:20:13 PM »
Experimenting with some extreme set ups... ;)

djeroek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 03:41:14 AM »
Very nice! Please also consider standalone windows build  8)

Xenakios

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 05:41:54 PM »
Very nice! Please also consider standalone windows build  8)

Yeah I've been building it so far just as a standalone for both Windows and OS-X. I've been distracted with other stuff lately and will be until the end of this month...But I'll get back to this during April.

pizza

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 06:22:55 PM »
Wonderful idea and work Xenakios !! :D
[also a pc user hoping to get to try it]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 06:24:55 PM by pizza »

Xenakios

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 11:38:51 AM »
I unfortunately got a bit stuck with this(*) and haven't worked on it lately. The plan is to continue with working on it, though. It did get to a quite interesting stage, after all.

(*) For example, I couldn't quite figure out the ideal way to implement the time varying parameter envelopes for this. I didn't want to do the most obvious thing and designing and implementing something more comprehensive turned out to be more involved than expected.

emre_k

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 03:48:39 PM »
Xenakios, that really looks mindblowing. Looking forward to a Win standalone version!

Xenakios

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 12:25:58 PM »
I just unearthed this and again remembered how nice this could be if only developed a little further...  :)

However, I also got to experience again how damn finicky about their parameters and how unstable the CDP programs can be.   >:( It's very frustrating when a CDP program just keeps on giving errors or even crashing. A GUI frontend would need to be aware of these things and attempt to prevent the user from giving inputs that won't work. And that would require rewriting the logic that's already in the CDP programs but which can't easily be reused by a GUI front end. Sigh... :(

Xenakios

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »
Thanks to the work done by Afta8 and especially Djeroek on their Renoise front-end, my new front-end will potentially have over  800 of the CDP processes available! This will obviously need lots of additional work, but currently it's looking pretty good.

simonk

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 08:10:58 AM »
Looking good indeed!

clown

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 03:02:52 AM »
Incredible, Xenakios! Really looking forward to this.