PVOC update

Started by simonk, July 29, 2014, 02:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonk

New versions of Pvoc are now available.
Restores the proper behaviour with respect to outfile sample formats.

Mac
www.unstablesound.net/CDP_Updates/pvoc-osx-06-14.zip

Windows 32bit
www.unstablesound.net/CDP_Updates/pvoc-win32-06-14.zip

Xenakios

Thanks for the update! The sound format issue seems to be fixed.

However, I am wondering why the new build seems a bit slower than the old pvoc with the sound format bug? Can the speed difference be just because the old build wrote just 16 bit files whereas I am making the new build write 32 bit floating point files? Could it be that you accidentally posted a debug binary or some such for Windows now? :)

Actually, even the older pvoc program seems to run curiously slow compared to the CDP programs that actually process the analysed data...Might there be some chances for optimizations?

rwdobson

Is this the  PC or the Mac version showing the slowdown? 

Xenakios

Quote from: rwdobson on October 07, 2014, 12:51:01 PM
Is this the  PC or the Mac version showing the slowdown?

I tested only on Windows. The slowdown isn't very big.

Xenakios

It occurred to me that maybe the reason for the pvoc program being somewhat slow is because of its extreme amount of text output it produces...I realized this now that I tried running pvoc anal with a "long" input file (about 6 minutes) via the JUCE C++ library's ChildProcess. I already had to change that code in JUCE's Windows implementation to have more buffering for the process's text output. But now I ran into a situation where I had to increase the buffer amount even more.

Perhaps it could be a good idea to produce less progress text output while pvoc runs...?

Xenakios

Looks like the printouts probably are not a performance bottleneck in the code. (I've now done some performance analysis with AMD CodeXL.)

It'd be great to have the source code for the fixed pvoc program, so I could further investigate.

lynx

For the core CDP tools, I'd love to see a source code repository agreeable with git as well as cvs & svn.

Xenakios

Any chance the updated source codes could be made available?