Author Topic: porting to supercollider  (Read 3160 times)

sleestack

• View Profile
porting to supercollider
« on: April 12, 2015, 07:32:30 PM »
im such a nag. i dont even know if this is possible

i think supercollider sounds absolutely amazing. no expert but it just has a beautiful sound. listening to curtis roads stuff. his program was made in sc and it sounds astounding.

lynx

• View Profile
    • Personal Homepage
Re: porting to supercollider
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 08:05:31 AM »
Some of the core processes could be "ported" to SC either as a C++ plugin or by reworking the sound algorithms in sclang.  SC is basically a "realtime" synthesis language, however, so some of the CDP processes would not adapt well into SC (or any realtime system, inc. VST plugins) without taking this into account.

SC can be impressively good sounding.  But it's quite a different animal than CDP, which deals primarily with performing transformations on existing sounds rather than rendering new ones "on the fly."  This distinction means they are drastically different in their approach, even if they both deal with rendering sound data.  They are really complementary tools, if you are so inclined.

As an aside, Richard Dobson apparently ported some CDP sound algorithms to Csound, although I'm not informed enough about Csound to be able to tell you which ones (spectral processing?).

sleestack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 09:12:19 PM »
why does SC sound so good? and can CDP made to sound similar? silly  questions, but curious

lynx

• View Profile
    • Personal Homepage
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 07:07:41 AM »
I don't know how SC's sound algorithms compare to other programs.  (Maybe someone with firsthand knowledge of this can chime in?)  But a very large part of it, however, is the user.  Curtis Roads not only knows the nuts and bolts of DSP, but has cultivated a personal aesthetic in which to apply that knowledge.  In his hands, arguably any tool could be made to sound good.  In tinkering with different languages and systems over the years, however, I'm left with the impression that Csound and SC were (are?) easily top of their lot in quality and expressiveness.

As to whether CDP can rival SC in sounding "good", I feel strongly that the answer is Yes!  In transforming sounds, however, the nature of the input has a lot to do with what you get out--CDP won't magically sound great on its own.  Above all, it needs the user to apply it sensibly to the particular input sound, or at least recognize a sensible accident when it occurs!  ;-)  Even processes that, by design, "butcher" the input sound may be exactly what you need to achieve a desired effect.  CDP is as good as they come, imho.  For proof, listen to some of the transformations Trevor Wishart uses in his recent work.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:36:55 PM by lynx »

sleestack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 10:26:47 PM »
most of what i hear from sc is bad, but its not the program.  i think sc has pretty good effects. good clear reverb.
sc doesnt have a flat tone, but a crispness to it,

i really liked this one track on here .  track 12

http://supercollider.github.io/community/sc140.html