Author Topic: Application doesn't work with this type of infile  (Read 3082 times)

unfunfionn

• View Profile
Application doesn't work with this type of infile
« on: May 26, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »
Probably a really stupid question, but I can't find an answer elsewhere.

On Mac and PC, 60% of the WAV files I'm trying to run through any of the Distort, Blur etc. functions are just returning 'Application doesn't work with this type of infile'. But doing a simple paplay with the file is no problem.

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

unfunfionn

• View Profile
Re: Application doesn't work with this type of infile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 05:13:51 PM »
Okay, the files weren't mono and those functions don't work with stereo.

But why? And is there a way to extract a single channel from a stereo file and work purely with that, or does it need to be done outside CDP first?

rwdobson

• View Profile
Re: Application doesn't work with this type of infile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 06:03:23 PM »
Interleaving mono files to make a multichannel file is a very common operation in CDP, and is supported by "submix interleave"
and "interlx".  Similarly, splitting a multichannel file into N mono files is done using either "housekeep chans" or "channelx".  On the PC, Soundshaper automates these steps in many cases, and possibly Soundloom too (or a patch can be written to do so).

Many of the processes in CDP are inherently mono - e.g. in the distort programs, it is unlikely that zero crossings will coincide across multiple channels. the error message "Application doesn't work..." almost always applies to such situations - except where indeed the wrong type of file is presented!