Author Topic: polyrhytm  (Read 1675 times)

sonora

• View Profile
polyrhytm
« on: October 30, 2019, 07:33:13 PM »
unable to run polyrhytm process
advice?

ArcherCDP

• View Profile
Re: polyrhythm
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 12:12:22 PM »
I take it that by 'polyrhythm' you mean different rhythms played at the same time (as opposed to additive rhythms:  different rhythmic groupings in succession).

There is a trick that can be used via a TEXTURE program that uses defined motifs.  The trick is that a motif does not have to start at 0.  Suppose one motif is a series of quavers (quarter notes), each starting on the beat, the whole motif starting at time 0.0.  A second motif could create off-beats by starting the same motif at time 0.5 (and possibly giving it a higher amplitude) -- in effect creating a quaver rest by starting the motif at time 0.5.  The 'mult' parameter can be used to control tempo.  It's a long time since I've done that, but I think it's how I created a 5-part drum texture.

The motifs/sounds would mix together quite a bit if all done in one ndf.  Or, separate ndfs and their resultant sounds could be done (with motifs not starting at time 0.0)  and then the sounds MIXed, all the soundfiles starting at time 0.0.

Or, make the motifs all starting at time 0.0, creating separate soundfiles, and then mix them, each starting at a different time.

The texture trick is, I think, the easiest way to create a virtual sequencer.  The main consideration is how contrapuntal the result needs to be, i.e. that each rhythm has its own sound.

TEXTURE TMOTIFS will start motifs at the times given in a rhythmic template.

So there are a number of ways in which one could approach creating polyrhythms with the CDP software.

Archer - CDP