Author Topic: Cannot get blur to work in linux  (Read 3537 times)

cirilo

• View Profile
Cannot get blur to work in linux
« on: June 02, 2015, 03:40:16 PM »
I am trying to use CDP with the Renoise tool (http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/topic/41882-new-tool-30-cdp-lua-tool/) but I am getting the following error when I use the blur function with any settings I try:

A lot of the other functions work like distort but I have noticed a few others which also don't work such as spec and specsphinx.

I created the launchd.conf and added it to /etc/ as the mac installation notes suggest but I'm a bit lost as to what else I can try. Does anyone have any suggestions?

lynx

• View Profile
    • Personal Homepage
Re: Cannot get blur to work in linux
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 09:32:07 PM »
I've never used the CDP Renoise tool, but taking a shot in the dark, it sounds almost like you might be having issues running the spectral processes, which expect and produce .ana extension (Analysis) files rather than normal sound files.

Does the Renoise tool use PVOC to automatically convert your sound file (.wav or .aif) into an analysis (.ana) file?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 04:21:14 AM by lynx »

cirilo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 01:14:18 AM »
That does sound like it might be the problem, it seems that anything that uses the .ana files doesn't work. I had a look through the script and it looks like it does use PVOC to do the conversion:

Code: [Select]
- PVOC Conversions
local function wav_to_ana(input_path, pvoc)
  local output_path = os.tmpname("ana")
  -- Construct argument string
  local pvoc_arg_string = create_arg_string(pvoc.argument)
  pvoc_arg_string = " "..input_path.." "..output_path..pvoc_arg_string
  -- Run pvoc anal
  local cmd_output = os.tmpname('txt') 
  os.execute(pvoc.anal_command..pvoc_arg_string.." > "..cmd_output)
  update_terminal(cmd_output)
  os.remove(cmd_output)
  os.remove(input_path)
  print("WAV to ANA - Output path = "..output_path)
  print("---------------------------")   
  return output_path
end

local function ana_to_wav(input_path, pvoc)
  local output_path = os.tmpname("wav")
  local pvoc_arg_string = " "..input_path.." "..output_path
  -- Run pvoc synth
  local cmd_output = os.tmpname('txt') 
  os.execute(pvoc.synth_command..pvoc_arg_string.." > "..cmd_output)
  update_terminal(cmd_output)
  os.remove(cmd_output)     
  os.remove(input_path)
  print("ANA to WAV - Output path = "..output_path)
  print("---------------------------")     
  return output_path 
end

cirilo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 03:37:51 PM »
Just wanted to say that I have solved this, I had not set the CDP_SOUND_EXT properly and now, after adding 'CDP_SOUND_EXT=wav' to my .zshenv file everything is working  8)
Thanks!

lynx

• View Profile
    • Personal Homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 04:41:08 AM »
Excellent!  Thank you for posting your solution.  Others will undoubtedly find this useful.

It strikes me odd that the Renoise CDP interface does not set this environment variable automatically, seeing that most users of the Renoise interface are probably otherwise unacquainted with using CDP, and therefore should not be expected to know to do this.

cirilo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 06:37:59 PM »
Yes, I'm surprised it doesn't set it either to be honest, I had never heard of CDP until I found that tool and had no idea what I was supposed to do. Never mind though, all working now and a simple solution in the end.

Thanks again.

afta8

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 08:51:41 PM »
It strikes me odd that the Renoise CDP interface does not set this environment variable automatically, seeing that most users of the Renoise interface are probably otherwise unacquainted with using CDP, and therefore should not be expected to know to do this.

That is a very good suggestion, it would certainly reduce the number of installation queries over on the Renoise forum.

Problem right now is that I don't really know how to do this, I'm assuming you would need to send a command via the terminal which can be done via the lua script, but this would need to be different for each platform..

Does anyone here know how to do this?

lynx

• View Profile
    • Personal Homepage
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 01:25:26 PM »
Tricky, indeed!  I hadn't looked at Lua before, and from what I gather, luaposix (namely, setenv in the luaposive.stdlib module) would appear to be one way to avoid sending actual commands to the terminal.  But this still leaves out Windows . . .

I assume instructions for setting the environment variable are already included with the CDP tool.  Maybe the most "portable" way of dealing with the problem would be just to check that environment variable has been set with os.getenv("CDP_SOUND_EXT") and simply ask the user to set it before proceeding?

afta8

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 01:23:33 PM »
Maybe the most "portable" way of dealing with the problem would be just to check that environment variable has been set with os.getenv("CDP_SOUND_EXT") and simply ask the user to set it before proceeding?

Thanks Lynx, that's a good suggestion and I think that's the best way to go for now.
We just have to sit tight and wait for the next release of CDP where the environment variable is already set.

Cheers