Author Topic: SoundShaper Port to Mac--I Am Begging!  (Read 6689 times)

Robert Fraser

• View Profile
Re: SoundShaper Port to Mac--I Am Begging!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 05:18:25 PM »
Sorry I missed this thread until now. Actually I have already begun what I hope will become  a Mac port of Soundshaper. The programming language I use (Delphi) is now strongly cross-platform, so that is no longer a problem. But the program first needs to be revised to use a different cross-platform framework (Fire Monkey) from that currently in use. This requires the use of different graphics components and finding Mac substitutes for any unsupported Windows-specific functions. (Alternatively, the free Lazarus IDE, which also supports Linux, may be considered.) Another issue is that I don't own a Mac (!), though the revised program can be developed on Windows and then compiled and tested on a borrowed Mac.

The starting point for the project has been to redesign the batch scripting used to run CDP command-lines and consequently to tidy up the way Soundshaper writes these scripts. The motive for this is to put a whole Soundshaper patch (sequence of processes) into a single cell, i.e. to run it as if one process. This means it must be able to to run with any input sound(s). So far, the scripts are independent of file-type (.wav/.ana/.frq etc.), incorporating any required conversions, and input channels (working with mono or multi-channel). The next step is to write and test Mac and Linux equivalents of these.

Another motive is to reconsider the CDP portfolio supported by Soundshaper. There is room for some pruning, and re-casting others as composite processes — e.g. PANORAMA writes a mix file, but I suspect most users would prefer if it ran the mix as well. What may well emerge is a more selective GUI, free and cross-platform. 

Lynx (reply #8) - I haven't investigated WINE on Mac yet (not having a Mac) though I will look into this as a possibility for Linux. I would assume, though, that compiling native code for a platform is always the best solution.

sleestack

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 01:00:38 AM »
silly thought but if it ran on an ipad that would be so amazing. or maybe an ipad version (less typing)  :-)   (wishful thinking)

there is the new language Swift from apple that is for their fall releases  .dont know if that makes things more possible.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:23:35 PM by sleestack »

Robert Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »
sleestack reply #16

The FireMonkey platform I'm planning to use supports iOS (for ipad) and also Android. So in theory this is a possibility.

sleestack

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 11:34:42 PM »
oh please do this. that would be so wonderful!   I thank you for all that youve been doing

oivindi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 11:06:21 PM »
Trying to get Soundshaper Pro to run on VMWare Fusion 6 right now, but getting an error ("I/O error 123") when trying to run Soundshaper.

Any ideas? Don't really know where to begin looking ...

simonk

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 07:29:59 AM »
Works fine here,

Which Windows version?
Is it only Soundshaper that throws this error?

Have you got permissions set to read/write on your VMware folders & shared folders

This should probably be a new thread

hth
Simon

ignatius

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 09:09:09 AM »
Heya,

Just thought i'd mention I got SoundShaper pro working well on VMWare Fusion with an Windows XP image.
Also works great under bootcamp.  Problem with Wine (and similar alternatives I think will be successfully installing CDP components.

The Renoise thing works great and hopefully the Reaper extension will open up access even more.

i'm getting there w/parallels 10 and win7 but seems the exes aren't in the right places or something. ugh. windows.

though i think i'm having the same issue on OS X. shrug.

clown

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 05:11:47 AM »
a port to mac would be indeed amazing! let us know how it going, robert, please  ;)