Author Topic: Latest CDP Source?  (Read 3361 times)

lynx

• View Profile
    • Personal Homepage
Latest CDP Source?
« on: September 26, 2015, 10:08:28 PM »
Hi,

Where can the (very) latest CDP sources be found?  I recall there being a git repository or sourceforge project talked about on this forum, but not sure I was ever able to track it down.

Xenakios

• View Profile
Re: Latest CDP Source?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 01:45:11 PM »
It sadly looks like the CDP developers have vanished from the face of the earth.  :( The only update I am aware of since the initial open source release since last year is the audio file formats fix for the pvoc, and the new source code for that was never made available.

lynx

• View Profile
    • Personal Homepage
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 06:25:28 AM »
Most of the developers have been heard from on this forum fairly recently (i.e., in the past two or three months), so I feel it is too soon to give up on them.  However, I am a little surprised that you have not seen the revised PVOC source, which you did ask for some time ago.  If you haven't already, may I recommend sending Richard Dobson a polite PM; or failing that, a personal email?

As for me, I'd really like an improved working environment for Linux/Mac command-line users, complete with man pages and some workflow concessions (e.g., a '-f' flag to overwrite existing files, etc.), and things along those lines.  No big ideas.  But enough that I'd like to see where everything stands before possibly taking a stab at some of them . . .
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 06:59:15 AM by lynx »

lynx

• View Profile
    • Personal Homepage
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 10:37:53 AM »
As an aside, I've been tinkering with the Linux build a bit.  I could not quite understand why JACK was required to build listaudevs, paplay, pvplay, and recsf, and it turns out you really don't need it!  After mucking with a few of the Linux makefiles, it turned out to be not very hard to compile these CDP tools against a system install of the portaudio library configured only for ALSA (sans Jack).  So far, no problems at all on my Slackware install.

Xenakios

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 06:37:31 PM »
Yeah it's annoying on Windows and OS-X too that Portaudio is required by the build even though it is not used by majority of the CDP programs. Luckily it's not too difficult get rid of those programs in the build. (I obviously could just satisfy the Portaudio dependency, since I've used Portaudio in my development projects anyway, but on principle I don't like how the build dependency has been incorporated into CDP.)

lynx

• View Profile
    • Personal Homepage
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 08:13:54 PM »
As you say, it is probably an impediment to folks who just give want to give the bulk of the system a whirl.  In particular, I would imagine that most users of the Renoise CDP tool might not ever use these four programs.  I'll point out (for anyone else reading) that these programs have been already segregated from the other programs in the makeprograms.sh script, so setting the PABUILD variable in that file to "no" ought to be enough to just get on with building the rest of the CDP system.

If you're stubborn like me (I use these programs a lot), then you'll find that both JACK and PortAudio are dependencies, even though the programs run fine--albeit, with some extra error output--even when the JACK server wasn't running.  I didn't want/need JACK on that particular machine, and found happily I could do without.

lynx

• View Profile
    • Personal Homepage
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 08:46:54 PM »
Thinking about this some more, I think if I were to make an additional suggestion to CDP developers for the build, I would request that the makeprograms.sh script check if PortAudio is found on the system, and ask the user if they want to build the local copy of portaudio if it is not found.  This would satisfy two requirements:

1) From the user side, a repo-installed PortAudio for your distribution (e.g., Trisquel, Debian, etc.) will probably be configured to use (and therefore should play nicely) with the audio subsystems used by that distribution (e.g., ALSA, PulseAudio), and over time this library will probably be kept more current by the package maintainer.  (On Slackware, you can use a SlackBuild to achieve effectively the same thing, or just compile it yourself.)

2) From the CDP developer side, including the portaudio source will allow these four programs to still reference some of the needed library source files (e.g., pa_ringbuffer.c/.h) for the build, since these don't seem to be included with even the so-called "-dev" packages maintained in many repos.

But as a rule, I would not compile against a local copy of portaudio unless the user really wanted it.