Author Topic: -D@ "Unknown Flag" When Using Columns Program  (Read 2620 times)

rotagrad

• View Profile
-D@ "Unknown Flag" When Using Columns Program
« on: August 03, 2020, 06:35:22 PM »
Hello,

While using CDP on command line , I can't seem to make the -D@ flag work for equal divisions between two numbers on a text file. I've explored many of the other possibilities for Columns and they all seem to work. However, whenever I try to use -D@ flag, it fails, saying "Unknown Flag -D@". I believe I'm writing this properly, as other flags from the same program have already previously worked, and the syntax is correct from the documentation present with columns -g and columns -f. Can anyone confirm this is a bug? Is there any way to fix this somehow? It is a simple function to replace in other ways, but it's very useful to me. Below are the few lines I've used.

(t.txt containing: 1 10)

columns t.txt t2.txt -D10

(responds: Unknown Flag -D1)

simonk

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: -D@ "Unknown Flag" When Using Columns Program
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 03:37:33 PM »
Hello,
try lowercase d

Does that do it?

rotagrad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 11:10:41 AM »
Lowercase d, as -d4, for example, is used for division in Columns. The flags of the Columns program are case sensitive.

simonk

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 01:59:02 PM »
 I can't see any mention of the uppercase -D flag in the documentation for Columns in CDPR7.
Can  you tell us where you have seen this?

Perhaps more to the point is that there are tools in both Soundloom & Soundshaper that might work for you.
From the Columns html help -

COLUMNS is fully implemented in the Sound Loom GUI as the 'TABLE EDITOR'. In Soundshaper it can be found under the 'DATA > Data Editor' menu items (a file with columns in it, such as a breakpoint file, needs to be Opened before the menu items will be active). There is excellent documentation in Soundshaper on the Data Editor (which includes the functions in SNDINFO UNITS) in 'Help > Soundshaper Help > DATA EDITOR'.

rotagrad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 10:08:26 PM »
Here is a screenshot of the two mentions on the documentation of CDP about the -D@ flag on columns.

https://imgur.com/a/YN1ZWC8

I know there are some ways to do this through graphic interfaces, but I'm trying to do everything I can through command line because of a wish to use scripting later on.

simonk

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 11:00:42 AM »
Ok,thanks.
I presume that the columns version you have is 1.8

I can confirm that this would seem to be a bug.
I'll pass on your report.