Author Topic: sound shaper coming for OSX?  (Read 2394 times)

sleestack

• View Profile
sound shaper coming for OSX?
« on: August 27, 2019, 08:40:18 PM »
A time soon?

Robert Fraser

• View Profile
Re: sound shaper coming for OSX?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 10:37:28 PM »
I'm afraid not at the moment. I don't have a Mac to develop it on. In principle, the plan would be to adapt the present code (Delphi) to run in the Free Pascal equivalent (Lazarus), then adapt that to run in Linux and OSX. In practice, there are bound to be Mac and Linux-specific things that will take a lot of sorting out. Secondly, is there much demand for it? I'm not keen to spend months of work to create something that might be used by a handful of people.

sleestack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 07:28:07 AM »
good point. I guess ill just get a cheap pc .

Robert Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 09:50:16 PM »
Soundshaper already works on Parallels and similar emulations (or so I've been reliably informed). This is surely an easier and cheaper solution than a cheap PC?

I didn't mention financial constraints that are also hindering an OSX port at the moment. I do however have an old PC running Linux and as time permits, I plan to get CDP running on that and then start gradually re-building Soundshaper for Linux. The Free Pascal/Lazarus route is multi-platform, so code adapted for Linux might well cover most of what's needed for OSX. Crucially, the unit which assembles the command-line batch files that run CDP will need to be converted from the Windows CMD language to BASH, which can be tested on Linux and would also be used for OSX. The new player component, using the 3rd-party BASS library, has already been written in Free Pascal/Lazarus. Much of the user interface stuff  - menus, patchgrid and parameter setting - is pretty standard and should port without any trouble. The graph-edit page I'm less sure about. Other supporting pages - CDP Mix page and Data editor - could probably wait until after a first release.

sleestack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 07:50:15 PM »
I couldn't get it to run with Wine, but since Parallels has been used successfully ill try it.

Robert Fraser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 10:48:38 AM »
I don't know if it's been tried with the latest version.

sleestack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 09:28:07 AM »
Im using soundloom on my Mac and like it fine. I keep getting warnings that the " (insert prog) is not optimized for your Mac and needs to be updated." but it still works.