Author Topic: MIDI tuplet generator?  (Read 4239 times)

joehuergo

• very personal text
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud
MIDI tuplet generator?
« on: July 11, 2017, 01:20:45 PM »
Does anyone know of a tool that can generate weird tuplets in a MIDI file? Obviously almost all DAWs/sequencers nowadays will support triplets, but I'm talking about any number of measure divisions, from quintuplets, to septuplets, etc. Been fixated on polyrhythm/polymeter stuff lately (5 against 7 has such a nice character) and manually doing the math and painstakingly sequencing out things like septuplets (with a good amount of trial and error) is quite tedious. Would just like something that generates basic midi files I can just import into live or something. Might just try making my own if nobody knows of anything like that.

loganmcbroom

• View Profile
    • Music
Re: MIDI tuplet generator?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 09:29:16 PM »
I'm not familiar with any tools that accomplish this but in DAWs I've used you can lay out n+1 notes on the regular grid lines and shrink the sequence so the final note is sitting at the start of a bar. Deleting the final note yields n notes at regular intervals across the bar. That being said, there are libraries that make midi programs very simple to write. I've used the JUCE midi stuff before and I'm sure you could add some neat functionality in a custom program. Imo doing things a little awkwardly in the daw is worth not having to break workflow to switch programs.

joehuergo

• very personal text
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 11:43:08 AM »
Hmm, maybe Ableton Live facilitates this and I just haven't figured it out, but in Live's piano roll, when you have a bunch of notes selected and you shrink/expand the end, it keeps all the notes in position and just alters their lengths. I will find out if I'm overlooking something. The JUCE idea is a good one though, thanks.

loganmcbroom

• View Profile
    • Music
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 09:23:53 PM »
I've definitely done this in live, I'll boot it up in a bit and remember how it's done.

Edit: Okay so when you select the notes there is an indicator at both ends of the selection at the top of the piano roll, dragging this has the desired effect.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 09:33:47 PM by loganmcbroom »

joehuergo

• very personal text
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 12:49:27 PM »
Ah! The warp marker! I've never actually played with it while manipulating MIDI clips! Live is always giving me pleasant surprises. Thanks a lot!

sonora

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 10:12:10 PM »
Sonar and digital performer can do.in the step recording