Author Topic: How to perform with spectral processes?  (Read 1921 times)

Phoenix cat

• View Profile
How to perform with spectral processes?
« on: June 15, 2017, 08:41:32 PM »
hi i am newbie on cdp soundshaper. I found impossible to process effects that requires two files. When I select the second file source, automatically it deletes the first one. It is drive me crazy. Can someone explain me, step by step, how to perform a cross synthesis for example? I know that requieres to convert wav to ana, but beyond that, I can t figure more. Do I need to use the file pool? buy how? Help please.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 11:24:38 AM by Phoenix cat »

Robert Fraser

• View Profile
Re: How to perform with spectral processes?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 08:59:12 PM »
Hi Phoenix cat,
When you select the first file, it will load into cell A_0 by default. Now click on cell B_0 and select the second file.  Click back on A_0. Select the process e.g. COMBINE CROSS (Menu: Spectral> Morph/Formants> Cross), and the red "Second Infile" panel appears for you to select the 2nd infile. Click on cell B_0 to do this and click the panel's OK button to proceed to the parameter page. CROSS has only one parameter-- REPLACE (degree of replacement - I usually set this to 1). Click OK or hit RETURN to run the process and return the result to Cell A_1.   

You are correct that CDP requires a conversion from wav to ana, but Soundshaper does this automatically. So the infiles can be soundfiles, as the program will auto-convert then into anas behind the scenes for a spectral process. (You can also convert them first if you prefer.) The output is also converted back to .wav if Option 5 (Auto-FFT) is checked. The output cell A_1 is coloured aqua for a spectral file, but the player will play the .wav conversion rather than invoke PVPLAY to play the .ana file directly. If you don't like the result, double-click the output cell (A_1) to return to the parameter page or hit CTRL+Z or the delete key to erase the output.

For the initial selection, the reason you have to click the cell you want to load into (actually you can just click its row) is so that you could load a file into any row. If Soundshaper just selected the next row down, this would not be as flexible. You don't need to use the file pool, but I find it helpful to stock this with commonly used sources -- it depends on your project. Also, you can load a file by drag+drop from any folder open in Windows Explorer. Again it will load into the currently selected row.  Soundshaper can also process stereo or multi-channel files for spectral processes. If you've chosen, say, one mono and one stereo source for COMBINE CROSS, it will combine channel 1 of the stereo source with the mono. (This generally works better than mixing to mono, but again you could do this yourself first.)   Hope this helps, Robert

Phoenix cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 05:24:15 AM »
I can do just this "When you select the first file, it will load into cell A_0 by default. Now click on cell B_0 and select the second file.  Click back on A_0. Select the process e.g. COMBINE CROSS (Menu: Spectral> Morph/Formants> Cross), and the red "Second Infile" panel appears for you to select the 2nd infile. Click on cell B_0 to do this ..." when I click on cell B_0, this message appears "source: A_0, this type of cell cannot be edited" what can I do?
thanks Robert Fraser

ts

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 12:50:39 AM »
I can do just this "When you select the first file, it will load into cell A_0 by default. Now click on cell B_0 and select the second file.  Click back on A_0. Select the process e.g. COMBINE CROSS (Menu: Spectral> Morph/Formants> Cross), and the red "Second Infile" panel appears for you to select the 2nd infile. Click on cell B_0 to do this ..." when I click on cell B_0, this message appears "source: A_0, this type of cell cannot be edited" what can I do?
thanks Robert Fraser

I'm new, too. I tried what you are having problems with and it works fine for me. The only time I see the error message you describe is when you double-click where a sound file loaded. Try the steps below.

Once you have a file loaded in both A and B, click one of them once - although, a double-click yields the same result.

You will know which is selected because it will have >> after A or B.

Now the select the Cross process and you will see the once blue colored "FILE POOL" field turn to a red "ADD INPUT" field - notice it is empty.

Click once on the opposite row, either A0 or B0, and you will now see a file name in the "ADD INPUT" drop-down menu. Click "OK" and you should be in business.