General Category > General Board

Mailing List Poll

(1/3) > >>

p8rpp:
Hi,

I would like to ask this community if members would be fine moving all discussion to a mailing list rather than a web based forum.

Good reasons to switch are
1.) It integrates better with many users daily communication work flow as they might be subscribed to other mailing lists as well.
2.) People can chose their own user interface (eg. Mail reader/client).
3.) Automatic notification of new postings.
4.) Easy archival, also off-site (in a user's personal directory)
5.) No need to authorise to a webpage to reply, just hit the reply button.
6.) Easier to read and maneuver on mobile devices.

Upon a successful vote for a mailing list I would be willing to find a server/institution to host it and could offer my services as one (of possibly multiple) mailing list adminitrators.

loganmcbroom:
I think a mailing list would serve the same purpose as a forum for me considering I check in here daily, it would be a convenience though. If any new form of communication were added I would prefer something instant in nature, e.g. an IRC channel.

afta8:
Forum works for me, however my main request would be for it to be readable for non-registered users. Being indexed by search engines would be one obvious advantage.

IMO being a closed forum is not conducive to building a community.

thresholdpeople:
Old post, but I vote for mailing list.

It can compensate for the board going quite and forgetting to check in. Allows for quick revival too, if everything's been quiet for a while, someone can send a message and everyone will see it.

Quite handy.

joehuergo:
thresholdpeople raises good points. I too agree with the prospect of a mailing list.
afta8's point is valid as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version