Author Topic: IRC  (Read 3185 times)

uuuuv

• View Profile
IRC
« on: February 08, 2017, 05:44:52 PM »
Hello,;
I just downloaded CDP sources for linux and compiled them. I'm reading Audible Design.
It took me a few hours to figure out from a screenshot of a frontend someone's working the workflow with pvoc (anal -> do stuff -> resynth) etc.
Is there a shell oriented tutorial that shows the full procedure from input wav to final wav ? The documentations seem to use soundshaper or soundloom.

Might by any chances some of you CDP users hang on an IRC channel ?

Thanks,

loganmcbroom

• View Profile
    • Music
Re: IRC
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 09:43:51 PM »
I don't know of one personally, seconding the IRC.

p8rpp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 11:07:16 PM »
Hi uuuuv,

instead of an IRC I would like to have a proper mailing list over a web forum for communication. I would have replied much earlier if I could have had done it by simple email.

On which operating system are you on?

I find that executing the individual commands from the shell without arguments gives you already a quite clear idea of their useage, different modes and parameters. So in my case I would do something like

analysis of wave file into spectral file
$ pvoc anal 1 infile.wav infile.ana

spectral blurring operation in its 'blur' mode over 16 windows
$ blur blur infile.ana outfile.ana 16

listen to the result (optionally)
$ pvplay outfile.ana

convert to time domain
$ pvoc synth outfile.ana outfile.wav

This syntax can be derived from the useage information the individual programs give you on the shell.

uuuuv

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 12:21:50 AM »
I'm running Ubuntu 64 bits

p8rpp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 12:53:57 AM »
Good choice!

So does the above info help you? Or are you looking for something different?

uuuuv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 01:59:37 AM »
Yeah I figured out the pvoc stuff.
What tutorial would help me the most to experiment with sounds knowing that I don't have soundshaper/soundloom on linux and I'm all shell ?
Or should I just stick to the reference command manual from OsX doc zip and play around ?

Thanks.
PS: there might be an issue with audacity and portaudio I compiled and installed from the sources or maybe it is because of jack? Do you know anyone running CDP on Linux ?

https://sukritkalra94.wordpress.com/2014/05/24/audacity-fails-with-the-pa_getstreamhostapitype-error/

p8rpp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 02:29:21 PM »
Hi uuuuv,

That's pretty much what I do. I take the comprehensive list of the programs and their modi from SpiralDeskRefContentsR7.pdf and SpiralDeskRefR7.pdf. Usage is explained on the shell itself as mentioned before. Fun starts once you put them into shell scripts of course, which is my number one motivation to use CDP on the shell only.
It makes sense to try to relate some program+modi to the illustrations in the Audible Design appendix, eg. the waveset/wavecycle transformations and to take notes of programs that you already used successfully to better remember in a month from now.

Oh, and I do prefix all CDP binaries on my system with cdp_ to better differentiate them from other unix binaries. I put them all inside a folder called ~/bin/cdpl and then in ~/bin I run
       for a in cdpl/*; do ln -s "$a" cdp_"`basename $a`"; done
to get symlinks to the actual binaries which are all prefixed with cdp_ eg. cdp_distort

I had your error regarding Audacity before, and in my case it helped to start Audacity setting an environment variable before starting it:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ audacity
which I have in a shell alias as
       alias audacity='LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ audacity'
For all questions regarding general Linux audio question I recommend you ask on the Linux Audio mailing list http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/