Author Topic: Can I get 24-bit output?  (Read 2335 times)

patmaddox

• View Profile
Can I get 24-bit output?
« on: May 24, 2016, 08:53:30 PM »
All of the files that CDP produces are 16-bit. I've seen that there's a -f flag and associated env var somewhere that will make output files be 32-bit floating point... but I don't need that :)

I'd like CDP to output 24-bit files instead of 16-bit. Is there some setting to make that happen?

rwdobson

• View Profile
Re: Can I get 24-bit output?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:38:27 PM »
24bit operation is definitely supposed to happen. A bug somehow got into the sound filing system routines some while ago (probably because of general code updates getting crossed in the post), which made all output revert to 16 bit as reported. I have completed a full rebuild of all programs which resolves this, restoring the intended behaviour, and I hope to have these available within the next couple of weeks (I am about to be away for a week) on the CDP website, with revised sources in due course on github.

The intended behaviour is for the output file to match the format of the input file, so that e.g. 24bit input gives 24bit output; with the option to force the output to floats using the -f prefix.

patmaddox

• View Profile
Re: Can I get 24-bit output?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 12:47:51 AM »
Okay thanks. And I wonder about cases where there is no input file, e.g. synth wave? Will there be (in this upcoming update) a way to configure CDP to use 24-bit as the default for those things? Or perhaps convert to 24-bit as part of housekeep respec?

And if you mix a 16-bit file with a 24-bit file, will it produce a 24-bit file?