Author Topic: mixing method with soundfile length?  (Read 2929 times)

p8rpp

• View Profile
mixing method with soundfile length?
« on: March 01, 2016, 02:42:16 PM »
Hi,
I am looking into the different ways of mixing on the command line with CDP submix and its various modes, and into the mixfile syntax.
I am wondering if there is a way to specify not only the starttime of a soundfile in a mixfile, but also its endtime and position in the source soundfile itself.
Is there any mode, or other binary that allows such a thing without having to trim off soundfiles in a separate step before mixing?
Thank you for all replies!
P

Robert Fraser

• View Profile
Re: mixing method with soundfile length?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 03:31:34 PM »
Your question highlights CDP's rather piecemeal approach to mixing.  Mixfiles are not the answer: the syntax gives each sound a level, pan position and start-time, but you cannot stop the sound early or start part-way into the file. Extend Sequence 2 is quite like a mix and gives each sound an overall duration, so it can be stopped early, but not started late. It specifies level, but not pan-position.

Submix Merge mixes only two sounds, but you can specify a stagger value (soundfile2 enters stagger seconds after soundfile 1) and/or a skip time (start mixing sound 2 at skip seconds into the file). You can also specify overall start and end times, but not the end time for each sound. The function has no level controls. Conversely, Submix Faders has a time-varying level control for each sound as well as an overall envelope for the mix, so this could be used to fade sounds in and out, but it has no control over individual start times.

Finally, Soundshaper has a Premix function, which is a composite of pan, level and start-time (which prefixes silence). It can be applied to each sound before mixing with e.g. Submix Mergemany. Currently, it only deals with the whole soundfile, but it might be possible to develop further controls in the future.

p8rpp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 04:54:13 PM »
Robert,

thank you so much for your detailed reply and for outlining the respective features/limitations of the various programs. I will try to find a combination or other workaround that allows what I have in mind, or - change my mind and do things differently. ;)

again, much appreciated, and with kindest regards
Peter

simonk

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 06:41:56 PM »
My tuppence worth...apologies to those who, I know, think otherwise.

Mixfiles are really not what the CDP software is good for.
There are applications availlable on all platforms that perform this function more efficiently and with so many other nuances.
From standard sequencing, Logic, Cubase etc to the more open frameworks of Ableton, Renoise and so on.
- oh & maybe make your own in MAX/MSP or PD

Composer's call really...as usual !

Simon

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 06:44:56 PM by simonk »