Author Topic: Soundloom on Linux  (Read 2157 times)

Marcelo Carneiro

• View Profile
Soundloom on Linux
« on: May 24, 2020, 02:42:41 PM »
Hi, hope you are all well.
I would like to know how to install soundloom on Ubuntu Studio 18.04. I have already installed cdp on it but no soundloom present.
I am using the windows version via Wine, but would prefer a native one.
Thank you.

rwdobson

• View Profile
Re: Soundloom on Linux
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 10:14:36 PM »
A port to Linux is in preparation, but will not be ready for a while yet, not least as recent updates (V17.0.4) need to be incorporated, and completing the update to the Mac version is also a priority. Only one developer (me) is involved in all this.  Note that for Linux users Soundloom would be supplied in source form (tcl files).  Enterprising users with some tcltk coding experience can download the current Windows sources from Trevor Wishart's Soundloom pages, and try it out (edit "sys.cdp" in _cdpenv to contain "LINUX" rather than "PC", and then you may need to modify any code that refers to programs with .exe extensions, so that the native Linux programs get called). However, despite the nominally cross-platform nature of tcltk, there are aspects that exploit Windows features and which have had to be significantly revised to suit the Mac. I expect a final Linux version of Soundloom to combine elements of both PC and Mac versions, one way or another.

Marcelo Carneiro

• View Profile
Re: Soundloom on Linux
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 04:43:34 PM »
Thank you for your answer. Would you give some tips of websites and other documents to learn how to work with tcl files? Thank you again. Hope you and your family be in good health.
Bests
Marcelo