Author Topic: Soundloom Interface Issues on Sierra 10.12.6 2016 Macbook Pro  (Read 1724 times)

j_p_higgins

• View Profile
Soundloom Interface Issues on Sierra 10.12.6 2016 Macbook Pro
« on: November 09, 2017, 11:15:44 AM »
Hi all,

On this machine - Late 2016 Macbook running Sierra 10.12.6 - Soundloom does not function correctly. On load most of the interface is unclickable, after clicking the Setup button and closing the window that opens the reopened soundloom window mostly works. However once I choose a directory the interface starts misbehaving again. It is mostly impossible to choose a sound and when I do manage too soundloom resizes and usually crashes.

I think this might be to do with the screen drawing and often when I click in the soundloom window the item selected is no where near where I clicked. Perhaps this is something to do with the retina display, however without installing custom software I'm not sure how to turn off the retina display scaling. As this is someone else's computer I'm trying to fix, I'd like to avoid installing loads of other software.

Has anyone had a similar issue and found a fix?

Thanks

Jonathan

rwdobson

• View Profile
Re: Soundloom Interface Issues on Sierra 10.12.6 2016 Macbook Pro
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 11:54:57 AM »
I can't test this directly, despite having a new iMac running Sierra (21" screen, no problems with Soundloom), as it doesn't have the retina display.

According to this tcl/tk page:

https://wiki.tcl.tk/41949

it seems there are very likely problems arising from the retina display (and high-resolution displays generally). So if there is a OS option to turn retina off, hopefully that will fix things in the short term.

Sadly, not having a retina-based machine means I am unlikely to be able to write and test a revised version (even if it just means building with a newer version of tcl) - we need to find a plucky and keen tcl/tk developer who fancies taking that on.

j_p_higgins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 03:58:37 PM »
Annoyingly in Sierra there doesn't seem to be a way to easily switch resolutions without third party software as apple have removed that functionality from system settings for some reason known only to themselves. I'll get them to try out changing the resolution with third party software and see if that solves the issues. Thanks!

rwdobson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 08:47:02 PM »
This is a reply recently posted to a question on Quora: it assumes Soundloom, like all apps, is installed (as we suggest) in /Applications. Otherwise, just locate it wherever it is.

"If you notice that an app looks different than you expect on your Retina display,
try opening the app using Low Resolution mode:

Quit the app if it's open.
    In the Finder, choose Applications from the Go menu.
    In the Applications folder that opens, click the app's icon so it's highlighted.
    Choose Get Info from the File menu.
    Place a checkmark next to "Open in Low Resolution"
    Close the window and open the app again.
"