Author Topic: Changing WORKSPACE Location in Sound Loom  (Read 3274 times)

lynx

• View Profile
    • Personal Homepage
Changing WORKSPACE Location in Sound Loom
« on: June 29, 2015, 11:38:22 AM »
I recently acquired a fancy new desktop with a high-speed SSD "scratch" disk, and it'd be nice for files in Sound Loom's WORKSPACE to live on this drive instead of where the Sound Loom executable happens to be located (e.g., C:\Users\<username>\CDP7\_cdp\).

Is there a way to change SL's WORKSPACE directory?  (In Soundshaper, at least, this is easily accomplished by changing the "Temp" directory in the Environment settings.)

rwdobson

• View Profile
Re: Changing WORKSPACE Location in Sound Loom
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 12:03:55 PM »
I am pretty sure the answer is No, but I have passed this on to Trevor Wishart, in case he has anything further or different to say. He may be busy and/or away, so a quick reply may not be possible.

lynx

• View Profile
    • Personal Homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 12:40:22 PM »
Thank you very much, Richard!

Wishart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 01:22:54 PM »
Lets call the new drive location NEW, and the original drive location ORIG.
It seems to me that a simple answer would be to ....

(1) Set up the Loom in NEW, so that the "_cdp" directory (and hence all its subdirs & files) are in the required new location.
(I think merely copying your existing _cdp directory, WITH ALL ITS SUBDIRECTORIES AND FILES, to NEW should work. This would copy any files on the ORIG workspace to the NEW workspace.)
The Loom would simply default the pwd (present working directory) to the NEW location and all would work as before (sound files not on the workspace would still be accessible as they are known to the Loom by their directory-path+name)

.. any shortcut to the Loom-exec on the Desktop or Start Menu would have to be redirected to the NEW drive/directory.

AFTER doing the above, if you want the CDP executables to be on the ORIG (or some other) drive, proceed as follows

(1) Copy ALL files from the NEW _cdp/_cdprogs directory to whatever location you want (do this first!).
(2) Start the Loom.
(3) On the "System State" menu (PC)  or "System" menu (MAX), at the top right of the workspace. Select "System Settings 2".
(4) From the menu that appears, select "SET DIRECTORY for CDP PROGRAMS"
(5) In the window that appears, type in (or paste) the name of the directory where the executables are now located.
BE SURE TO TYPE THE COMPLETE PATH.
(6) The process will now remove the executables from the location on NEW (if they are still there), and they will be accessed from the directory you have thus specified.

If you make a mistake (e.g. mistype the directory name), and then restart the Loom it will fail to find the CDP programs, and the window for specifying the directory-where-the-programs-are-located will pop-up automatically, so you can type in the correct directory path+name!!!

Hope this is clear, if not completely straightforward!!

lynx

• View Profile
    • Personal Homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 07:54:06 AM »
I appreciate your exacting reply.  It is very clear!  So while it is not possible to have the WORKSPACE files occupy a different folder than the location of the soundloom.exe executable, either workaround is definitely simple enough.  Thank you!

rodolphe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 03:18:31 PM »
Hello, I would have the same question, but updated for the present day on a MAC machine?
I have "set directory for CDP programs" in the Sound Loom, but it does not change the workspace location...
Thanks,
Rodolphe